- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Works Licensing & Notification
DDEX's musical works standards provide a suite of messages that give a uniform mechanism to enable companies to exchange information on claims of ownership of musical works embedded in Releases, and to request and to be granted licenses for using such musical works. The works notification and licensing standards are typically used by DSPs and/or record companies to request information on right share ownership claims and to license musical works from music rights societies and/or music publishers, and for such societies and publishers to provide information, licenses and/or license rejections. These processes are supported two core standards, one focusing on works licensing and one on work ownership notifications. These standards are highly inter-compatible and share a common ontology/data dictionary. Additional processes are currently being developed, and once this work has concluded, the DDEX Knowledge Base will be updated.
DDEX has also defined how to physically exchange such license requests and grants, alongside supporting documentation, for the licensing of physical products in Canada.
Exchanging Claims in Share(s) of Musical Works
DDEX has published standards and choreographies that cover a number of processes relating to making claims on, and the licensing of, musical-works.
The six "core" processes presently covered by the DDEX standards and choreographies are:
- A licensor wanting to notify a licensee of its claim(s) to musical-work(s)
- A licensee requesting information on a licensor's claim(s) to musical-work(s)
- A licensee wanting to augment the information it holds on musical-work(s)
- A licensee requesting license(s) for usage(s) of musical-work(s)
- Maintaining the licensor/payee information in a "Letters of Direction" process
- Notification and resolution of “duplicate-claims” on musical-work(s)
Exchanging Licenses and/or Licensing Information for Musical Works
Older versions of the DDEX standard for Musical Works Notification and Licensing can be accessed here.