The DDEX MLC Message Suite Standard is relevant for the communication with and between music licensing companies. In the past, a variety of different and largely incompatible formats were used with and between MLCs.
The DDEX MLC Message Suite Standard is for use by:
- Rights holders (record companies, performers, representatives, etc.); and
- Entities such as aggregators/distributors of recordings (on behalf of their clients).
Comprehensive implementation of the DDEX MLC Message Suite Standard will improve the efficiency and the accuracy of the distribution of revenues to rights holders.
The following processes are supported by the DDEX MLC Message Suite Standard:
- Record companies send information about sound recordings to a MLC;
- MLCs share repertoire information between each other;
- MLCs exchange sales and revenue data; and
- MLCs send revenue information to the owners of the sound recordings, i.e. the labels.
The exchange of data between MLCs is necessary to meet the requirements of bilateral agreements between the MLCs that administer the rights of producers and performers across multiple territories. This includes data about sound recordings, music videos and related sales data used within rights administration.